Companies of all sizes can greatly benefit from a search engine optimized (SEO) content strategy – specifically in the form of blogging. With 46% of people reading blogs more than once a day and a rapidly increasing global population of blog readers, content marketing efforts are more valuable than ever.
We recommend small businesses determine their target audience, define their voice, create an editorial calendar, and dive right in – not just because the cool kids are doing it, but because solid blogging can further the success of your business.
- Authority – You know why your company stands out in your industry, but does the public at large? Blogs are a great place to claim your place as an expert and a thought leader. Educate your readers; demonstrate your experience by documenting success stories; allow your business to be a professional resource answering the questions your readers didn’t even know they should ask.
- Trust – 78% of consumers believe that organizations providing custom content, such as blogs, are interested in building good relationships. When you go to a website, don’t you think the same way? If you find plentiful resources, educational information, and thorough discussions of ideas, isn’t that company suddenly stronger than the business with only a splash-page?
- Connection – Whether your business is focused on fostering relationships with your local community or seeking to grow your well-established brand on a global scale, blogging is all about nurturing the connection between the company and the reader. Think of each blog as a one-on-one conversation without the limitations of time or geography.
- Publicity – Blogs shouldn’t be all about you, you, you; however, on occasions when big news needs to be shared, they offer a natural podium with a pre-existing audience. Blogs shouldn’t highlight every daily happening of the office, but tucking rare announcements amid your existing content structure can be a win-win.
- Shareability – Content for the sake of content achieves little. When a company focuses instead on “sharable” material – something readers find intrinsically enlightening, educational, and/or entertaining – then a blog’s audience will organically grow. The more readers find useful, the more they will share your content on social media sites, which creates posts that their friends will see, which in turn they will share… And you get the idea.
- SEO – In addition, content creation is ranked as the single most effective SEO technique. A website with a blog has on average 434% more indexed pages and 97% more indexed links. Staying ahead of ever-changing search engine algorithms is challenging, but no one can argue against the benefits of a website with depth.
There’s an art to blogging well. Strong storytelling must meet SEO know-how, and selling must be secondary to the questions and interests of your readers. But those who do it skillfully see the results.
With 68% of consumers regularly spending time reading content from a brand they are interested in, why shouldn’t that brand be yours? If your business isn’t already blogging, we recommend you jump on in. The water’s fine.